In 1782 the adjacent suburbs and villages were united into a posad (settlement) with the name Sergievsky. The major capital constructor here was the Lavra erecting hotels, hospices, stores and lodgings around the monsatery. They served inflowing pilgrims especially after a convenient highway (1845) and railroad (1865) with Moscow were set up.
The town economy also served the monastery. Great pilgrim demand for devotional articles drove the manufacuring of crosses, candlesticks, icons and so on.