The Moscow Theological Academy and Seminary is the highest instutute of the Russian Orthodox Church stemming from the Slav-Greek-Latin Academy (1685). The pious Empress Elizabeth who often visited the Trinity Monastery founded the Seminary in the Tsar Chambers in 1742. The Academy trains Orthodox priests.
In 1814 the Theological Academy was transferred from Moscow to the Lavra, and a new complex of buildings for school needs appeared. Its yellow classroom building was erected in 1839 and got a 3rd storey in 1884.
At present the Tsar Chambers belong to the Academy. Academy access is for its students only.